“At the heart of our work is Quality of Life, Happiness and Care.” Elizabeth Gordon, Chief Executive
Parkinson’s Care and Support UK is the only UK charity which focuses on Holistic Health, Wellness, Care, Complementary and Alternative treatments and therapies to improve life with Parkinson’s and to help you live better for longer.
Although we fund non-pharmaceutical research into how we can slow down, reverse or even prevent the onset of Parkinson’s, we are mindful that thousands of people living with the condition need support today. This charity is all about positivity and being proactive about health and wellbeing. People with Parkinson’s do not need pity or sympathy. They need to be understood, given clear and unbiased information, services and care that will enable life to be lived to the fullest.
Parkinson’s is a combination of symptoms and ailments in which no two people have the same experience. This is why there are many ways to treat Parkinson’s. Parkinson’s Care and Support UK does not believe in simply masking symptoms with medications. We believe that in order to live your best life to the fullest, a multifaceted approach is needed and therefore a holistic healthcare plan should be in place for every person with Parkinson’s from diagnosis to end of life.
Our work is different!
Parkinson’s Care and Support UK are proactive about health. We are driven by positivity and by understanding that we can improve life for everyone affected by Parkinson’s. We are impactful. Our work DIRECTLY improves the quality of life of people affected by Parkinson’s today, not tomorrow.
Parkinson’s Care and Support UK:
- are the only UK charity that provides FREE face to face and online exercise classes throughout the UK
- are the only UK charity that provides FREE respite care for family carers of those with Parkinson’s who may be struggling to take care of their loved ones or who otherwise need additional support. Our carers continue to deliver this vital service during the coronavirus crisis.
- are the only UK charity that provides FREE neurological physiotherapy for people with Parkinson’s who typically may not be able to attend a local exercise class due to physical limitations. Our physiotherapists continue to deliver this vital service to the most vulnerable who are at greatest risk of falls.
- provide information on diet, nutrition, exercise, mental health, holistic health, wellness, complementary and alternative treatments and therapies as well as services and products, to improve quality of life for those with Parkinson’s
- fund social and community based events and activities through our PDTogether Groups, to reduce isolation amongst people with Parkinson’s and their carers
- are currently developing a new CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) Helpline for people with Parkinson’s who are also suffering from anxiety or depression. Up to 40% of people with Parkinson’s will suffer from anxiety or depression during their illness. Anxiety and depression significantly affect both motor and non-motor symptoms of people with Parkinson’s and reduces quality of life. The Helpline will also be available to partners and carers of people with Parkinson’s.
Parkinson’s Care and Support UK improves the lives of everyone affected by Parkinson’s Disease today, not tomorrow. We don’t believe in masking symptoms. We lead discussions on complementary and alternative therapies for Parkinson’s and educate and empower people with Parkinson’s, carers and healthcare professionals to be proactive about holistic health care and wellbeing in order to live better for longer. We strive to prevent, slow down, reverse and end Parkinson’s through funding non-pharmaceutical research.
How we work
We are small, but very impactful. We are confident that every service we provide makes a DIRECT impact on the lives of those affected by Parkinson’s.
We believe in keeping our administration and staff costs to a minimum so that your money is spent on making a real difference to those living with Parkinson’s today.
We listen to our donors. Billions of pounds have been spent on Parkinson’s research worldwide over the past 30 years. There have been little advances on medications, and sadly we are nowhere near a cure. People do not want false promises of cures or to be told a cure is coming in their lifetime, when it is not. That is why we will only fund non-pharmaceutical research that could be used to prevent, slow down progression or reverse Parkinson’s within 5 years.